Two weeks in a row I am recommending a Spanish red wine.  As I was saying last week, there are so many amazing values in Spain, and we just got in another amazing value red from Rioja.

Vina Real winery is part of a larger winery called Compañía Vinícola del Norte de España.  This is quite a mouthful and so usually this name is shortened to CVNE.  It is also sometimes written as Cune.  It can be quite complicated, yet the wines that they make are amazing.  CVNE has been around for over 140 years and Vina Real was started in the 1920s.  Since then, they have been creating great value wines year in and year out.  In 2013, one of the CVNE wines was named #1 wine of the year by Wine Spectator.  This was the first time a Spanish wine was given this honor.

The Vina Real Rioja Crianza 2017 is made of 90% Tempranillo with the other 10% being a blend of Garnacha, Mazuelo and Graciano.  I also mentioned last week how the term Reserve actually means something in Spain.  Reserva wines in Spain must be aged for a minimum of 3 years before release.  The term Crianza is just one step below Reserva.  To be labeled Crianza, a wine must be aged for a minimum of 2 years before release.  It comes from the region of Rioja and more specifically Rioja Alavesa which is smaller subregion within Rioja.  This wine has a shiny cherry color on a purple background. On the nose, intense aromas of ripe fruits stand out, complemented with subtle hints of oak. On the palate, it is structured and round with a good integration of fruitiness and oakiness. The aftertaste is marked by very well-balanced tannins as well as by persistent spicy, toasty and balsamic aromas.

This wine has been given many accolades by multiple wine critics.  Vinous gave this wine 90-points, both Wine Enthusiast and Robert Parker's Wine Advocate gave it 91-points and the ever-popular James Suckling gave this wine 93-points!  All these high scores from a wine that is under $15!!  Just another amazing example of the value and quality that come from Spanish wineries.  

Vina Real Rioja Crianza 2017

-Patrick Mulrooney


By Patrick Mulrooney 0 comment


Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published

Just added to your wishlist:
My Wishlist
You've just added this product to the cart:
Go to cart page